ASHI Government Affairs (AGA) division has campaigned for the home inspection and increase awareness of the role home inspectors play for U.S. citizens. Today, there are a number of efforts that the AGA are working toward:
- ASHI drafted and supported legislation to require the federal government to recommend getting a home inspection to all FHA-mortgage homebuyers.
- That legislation was adopted by Congress and passed into federal law.
- ASHI works closely with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to develop and improve its home-inspection recommendation to homebuyers and to maximize its impact in the home sales marketplace.
- ASHI is now working to extend the HUD pro-home inspection message to most private sector financed home sales, as well.
- ASHI seeks to expand the relevance of home inspection beyond the typical home sale, and toward homeowners who plan to keep their homes but want to ensure the safety and healthfulness of their homes for their own use.
- ASHI is a leading advocate on emerging health and safety issues that will drive demand for home inspection expertise, including radon, indoor air quality, mold, fall protection, aging-in-place issues, safety for infants and children, and more.
- ASHI is responsive to its members' needs as small business operators. ASHI partners with other leading realty-related organizations to support the home mortgage interest deduction, fair tax rates for small business/self-employed/pass-through entities, better health care and retirement options for small business owners.