At its July meeting, the ASHI Board of Directors was able to move forward on three important matters, due in large part to the work done by two task forces and a committee.
• After receiving the report from the Chapter Task Force and the most recent chapter verification report, compiled by the ASHI membership department, the Board arrived at a consensus that it wanted input and involvement from chapters regarding how to reduce the administrative burden on chapters so they can focus on what members want and desire: education, fellowship, mentoring and local public relations.
No decisions were made, only plans to make available a Task Force Report Webinar, hosted by Charles Gifford, the task force chair, in September and to hold a chapter presidents focus group in conjunction with the Leadership Training Conference in October. Invitations were sent to chapter presidents and council group leaders in August.
Download the Chapter Task Force Report.
In addition, Charles Gifford has volunteered to answer your questions about the report at email@example.com.
• Based on the work done by the Governance Task Force, the Board approved sending Bylaw amendments to the Bylaws Committee. See Announcements + Notices, for details.
• For more than a year, the ASHI Standards Committee has been receiving and incorporating comments on proposed ancillary standards from the public, ASHI members and leadership. At the July meeting, the Board approved the motions to send both sets of voluntary professional standards for Pool and Spa and Predrywall inspections to the voting members. See Focus on Standards for more information.
IW expo in full swing
Planning for InspectionWorld Atlanta is well under way. Initial InspectionWorld exhibitor booth assignments were made on July 23, and regular updates will appear on the Expo floor plan.
Any ASHI affiliate or prospective affiliate is invited to access the Exhibitor Prospectus at www.inspectionworld.org. To obtain full exhibiting details and submit an application, contact Bill Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-954-3187.
Also, you can view the education program and the preliminary schedule at www.inspectionworld.org. Registration opens next month.
If it's dues renewal time, it's also CE time
Continuing education claim forms were included with dues notices. If you're still looking for approved courses, visit the Education section of www.homeinspector.org.
ASHI also offers The Smart Track Online Education Program. It is free to ASHI members and you may earn up to 10 CEs by completing online modules on topics that cover the core subjects of the ASHI Standards of Practice. There are 11 modules covering roofing, exterior, heating, electrical, interior, structure, plumbing, professional practice, cooling, wood heating and insulation. Each module includes dynamic exercises and a comprehensive exam.
Each ASHI member has been assigned a login and password to access the program through the ASHI website under Education & Training. If you do not have login information, contact Michele George at 847- 954-3188 or email@example.com.
Advertise with ASHI
If you know of someone who has a product or service that is of interest to home inspectors, share a copy of the ASHI Reporter and suggest they contact Sandy Bourseau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASHI Mission Statement
To set and promote standards for property inspections and to provide the educational programs needed to achieve excellence in the profession.
Current ASHI Membership
ASHI Certified Inspectors: 3,566
Retired Members: 109
ASHI Calendar of Events
• Oct. 21, 2010, Chapter Task Force Feedback and Focus Group, Rosemont, Ill.
• Oct 22, 2010, Leadership Training Conference and Board Meeting, Rosemont, Ill.
• Jan. 25-28, 2011, InspectionWorld, Atlanta, Ga.
• Jan. 4-7, 2012, InspectionWorld, Phoenix, Ariz.
• Jan. 13-16, 2013, InspectionWorld, Las Vegas, Nev.