In the August issue of the Reporter, I described plans for ASHI’s upcoming Leadership Development Conference (LDC), to be held October 25-26 in Des Plaines, IL.
LDC is the most important seminar for the development of current and future ASHI chapter and national leadership.
This year, LDC offers opportunities for attendees to:
- learn strategies to develop and fine-tune leadership skills,
- help their chapters implement successful strategies for growth, participate in interactive discussions led by your peers in ASHI
- learn from an outstanding motivational speaker.
“The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.” — Ralph Nader
I want to thank Forrest Lines, Chapter Relations Committee Chair; Jim Funkhouser, Board Liaison; Michele George, Staff Liaison; and committee members Ken Harrington, BK Thompson, Marlon Page, Sean Torxell, Chuck Kleindienst, Janni Juhasz and Bryck Guibor for taking the lead and “thinking out of the box” to prepare this year’s LDC.
Don’t Miss These Hot Topics and Great Presenters at LDC
- Best practices for websites and social media (Bryck Guibor and Reuben Saltzman)
- Online meeting groups using webcasting (Jim Funkhouser, Reuben Saltzman and Mike Rostescu)
- Chapter peer review sessions
- Strategies for chapter success (leaders from ASHI’s Arizona, Ohio, Mid-Missouri and Heartland chapters)
- Shifting trends, with a focus on younger members (discussion panel, including Sean Torxell, Bronson Anderson, Michael Conrad, BK Thompson and Mike Rostescu)
- Planning a successful chapter educational event (BK Thompson)
- Leadership and board responsibilities
- The mechanics of running a meeting (Scott Patterson and Harry Rosenthal)
Join Us for Fun and Food for Thought
On the evening of Wednesday, October 24, there will be a special visit from two Chicago icons. I can’t yet reveal who these icons are, but this quote should give you a hint: “There are 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses.”
On Friday, October 26, the day will begin with LDC’s main event—a presentation by Kevin McCarthy. This outstanding motivational speaker will have you on the edge of your seats and he will give away copies of his book Blind Spot; Why Good People Make Bad Choices, which I believe is a must-read for all home inspectors. I guarantee that once you start reading the book, you won’t put it down.
Register for LDC Today
If you want to be a better leader now or if you aspire to be a leader in the future, LDC is for you. It’s not too late to sign up and registration is easy. Just visit this link: www.homeinspector.org/Education-Training/Leadership-Development-Conference-RSVP.
Some Quotes to Inspire Us All
As you know by now, I’m a big fan of sharing inspirational quotes from great leaders. Here are a few of my favorites:
“People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives.” — Theodore Roosevelt
“The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army or in an office.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
— Peter Drucker
And my all-time favorite…
“Right always prevails.” — Forrest Lines